Home Page Gardening Lubbock Beagles Contact Me

 
Oh the joy of Fur-Baby with their wet noses, wagging tails and warm hearts!

Joy Blooms . . . by loving & caring for the fur-babies

Last Edited:  08/12/2016 05:30 AM

Open Letter to Pet Owners
re: Halloween Hazards

Received this email from our Vet in Colorado:

Dear Pet Owner,  

We hope you are enjoying the fall weather with your pets!  Please enjoy the following article written by Dr. Jennifer Tremblay.  Who knew Halloween could be so hazardous? 

Be careful how your ghouls and goblins celebrate Halloween this year.  There are many potential pet hazards one must be aware of in order to keep everyone safe and spook free. 

CHOCOLATE:  Many people still do not realize that Chocolate can be poisonous to the family pet.  Unsweetened baking chocolate or dark chocolate carry a much higher dose of the toxin "theobromine" than does milk chocolate and can be very dangerous.  A small dog sharing some Halloween treats with a child or finding a hidden bag of candy can be big trouble..  Clinical signs include hyper-excitability, nervousness, vomiting, and diarrhea.  Sometimes if chocolate ingestion isn't recognized in time death could occur.

XYLITOL:  This is a main ingredient found in a lot of sugar free candies and gum.  It is extremely hazardous causing a quick drop in blood sugar levels for our pets.  Signs include- depression, loss of consciousness, staggering gait, weakness, and sometime seizures. 

MACADAMIA NUTS:  This hazard is very dangerous to dogs.  It is thought to be due to the contaminants found in the nuts from processing or mycotoxins.  Signs include hyperthermia, or a raised body temperature, extreme fatigue and within 12 hours of ingestion the inability to rise or walk.

RAISINS AND GRAPES:  While healthy snacks aren't always given out on Halloween sometimes boxes of raisins can be found in those trick or treat bags.  The exact mechanism hasn't been discovered yet but these two fruits can cause acute kidney failure.  Even a small amount such as 1/2 oz box of raisins per kilogram of weight can be toxic.  Signs are often missed for several days after ingestion but with quick response your veterinarian can help decrease its effect on the kidneys.  Signs include vomiting, lethargy, anorexia, drinking a lot of water and having to urinate very frequently throughout the day and night. 

So this year make sure Halloween candy is properly stored away from wagging tails and curious pets. 
Community Pet Hospital
(Thornton, Colorado)

K-9  Halloween Cookies for the Dogs!

Makes 20-24 treats

2 cups whole-wheat flour
3/4 cup old-fashioned oats
teaspoon ginger
teaspoon nutmeg
teaspoon garlic powder
2 large eggs
cup molasses
1/3 cup vegetable oil

Preheat oven to 325F.

Mix dry ingredients in a bowl. Add eggs, molasses, and oil. Mix well. Mixture will be crumbly. Transfer dough to wax paper and knead until smooth. Roll out to inch thick. Cut with novelty cookie cutters: bone, cat, witch, pumpkin, etc. Place on oil-sprayed cookie sheet and bake for 30 minutes.

Billy & Betty like these!


    < < < Joy Blooms with Fur-Babies < < <                Pick up Poop - It is Important           Christmas Hazards         

 

Joy Blooms . . . with Fur-Babies!

Favorite Pictures of:  Billy Bob Beagle        Betty Sue Beagle        Bob the Beagle         Cousin Lucky Dog                         


Home Page Gardening Lubbock Beagles Contact Us

Discover Circuits Discover Solar Energy Imagineering Ezine
Copyright 2007-2016  www.joyblooms.com                All rights reserved.                  Privacy Policy
We do not attest to the accuracy of the information given on links to external sites.  Any trademarks are the property of their respective owners.